|The city that never sleeps.|
About a month ago, I stumbled upon Louis Johnson’s bucket list. I liked several of the items on his must-do list, so I decided to compile items for my own. Instead of focusing on the inevitable—that I will eventually pass away, I am making a list of the things I want to accomplish, do or see before I leave New York. And, while I am not quite sold on the famous David Letterman intro: “The greatest city in the world,” I do think New York is an amazing city with so much to offer.
While I had hoped I would find a publishing job in the Big Apple, I am starting to realize that I may be going back to Iowa and living with my parents until this economy picks up. Thus, I created the top 10 things I need to do before I leave this dynamic city.
1. Go to Coney Island: I believe they renovated this historic theme park last year. I’ve always been a bit of a daredevil, so going on the rides is paramount. Also, they have a beach too, so there will be plenty to do for a day trip.
2. Go to the New York City Library: I know NY has multiple libraries, but the one I really want to visit is on 42nd street. As an English graduate, I obviously have a hunger for reading that can only be satisfied by going to the New York City library.
3. Go to a Broadway Play: This item needs no further explanation. In fact, I will be able to check this one off tonight, as I am going to see How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. And bonus, Daniel Radcliffe is one of the lead characters!
4. Go see all of Central Park: I’ve seen bits and pieces of this great big piece of greenery, but I have yet to explore the whole park. There are always free events going on too such as concerts and Shakespeare in the Park.
5. Drink Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity: I have heard glowing reviews about their hot chocolate, so it’s just something I am set on trying while I am still in the city.
6. Go to the Ground Zero Memorial Site: I really want to do this, but I am going to bring tissues.
7. Visit the Statue of Liberty: It’s something that I need to do while I am here. I’ve looked at tickets to go up into the crown and they are super expensive, but I also know they have ferries that go past the Statue of Liberty, so at least I’ll get a glimpse of New York’s most recognizable monument.
8. Window Shop at Saks Fifth Avenue: I want to go in and see the clothes, shoes and accessories that everyone raves about, even if I can’t afford anything from this timeless store.
9. Walk Across the Brooklyn Bridge: This would be an amazing view and good exercise!
10. Go to FAO Schwarz: I want to find my inner-child and try out the giant floor piano!
What’s on your bucket list?
♥AUTHOR: ANDREA WHITLOCK