|“While visions of sugar plums…”|
Sugar plums are a traditional Christmas delicacy and they have always been a holiday favorite at my house. You might have heard of them from The Night Before Christmas as visions dancing in the heads of sleepy children or maybe from Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker as the Sugar Plum Fairy from the ballet. But chances are you have never actually tried them.
These sticky, sweet balls of dried fruit and confectionery sugar are delectable and pretty easy to make. Here’s a recipe my mom’s been using for years to make her own sugar plums– they make yummy, unique treats for the holidays.
Sugar Plums Recipe
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup dried apples
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Confectioner’s sugar
1. Place the steel blade on the food processor and chop the apricots, pecans, coconut, raisins and dried apples.
2. Add the orange juice and blend for about 5 to 10 seconds.
3. Remove the batter by teaspoonfuls and squish the ingredients into balls.
4. Place confectioner’s sugar in a bowl and roll the balls into the sugar coating them completely.
5. Place each into a small candy papers (like what you put cupcake batter in but smaller) and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last for 3 weeks.
Alexandra Churchill has 21 post(s) on Love Twenty