- A thermometer: This is one of the first things you’ll need to gauge how sick you actually are. If you’re over 98 or under 96, make sure you take some medicine.
- Ibuprofen: I tend to stick with Advil Liquid Gels, because they dissolve and get to work pretty quickly. These are great for headaches, fevers, cramps, sore muscles… really, just a huge range of symptoms and issues! If you’re going to have only one thing in your medicine kit, ibuprofen should be it.
- Tums or Pepto-Bismal: Let me guess, you had Chipotle for lunch. Or maybe it was Taco Bell. Either way, at some point, you’ll need a calcium-based antacid to bail you out of your too-long stint in the bathroom. I prefer Tums because - let’s face it – Pepto-Bismal tastes like chalk.
- Cough drops: I absolutely dread waking up with a sore throat… it just gets my day off to such a sour start! I always keep a variety of cough drops on hand to suppress any cough I may have, and soothe my aching throat. Usually I like the tropical flavors by Halls, or I’ll grab the Honey Lemon flavor if I want to clear out my sinuses as well.
- Midol: It had to be said. All girls need something for those days when Advil just won’t cut it. (You could also stock up on some Pamprin, but I find Midol to be a bit stronger and thus more effective.) PMS, do your worst!
- Hot wrap: I love my reusable hot/cold wrap. When a pulled muscle (or more cramps) strike, I just pop that baby in the microwave in increments of 30 seconds. Hello, heaven. (Added bonus: also great for your neck when you want to relax!)
- Dayquil/Nyquil tablets: I don’t know about you, but I hate swallowing liquids. They taste gross, and I make weird faces that make me look ridiculous. I much prefer the tablet versions of both Dayquil and Nyquil for all of my cold-related needs.
- Allergy tablets: Now, these depend on personal preference. I tend to stick with Claritin, while my boyfriend swears by Benadryl. If you’ve ever felt so allergy-ridden you could double for Sneezy the dwarf, these babies are crucial.
- Optional – nasal spray and eye drops: Okay, I have to admit, I rarely need either of these. But when I do need them, and they’re not in my medicine bag, I’m mad at myself. Better safe than sorry, right?
- My secret weapon – NettiPot Squeeze Bottle: I hate when my sinuses are clogged. As a singer, I often need to get rid of that gunk fast if I have a show or an important rehearsal coming up. All you do is fill the squeeze bottle with saline solution, and it runs through your sinuses and clears them out. Gross, I know, but completely effective. I swear by this thing.
Ashley is a college senior studying marketing and theatre. She loves iced caramel macchiatos, singing showtunes, and leaping buildings in a single bound... not to mention her unhealthy obsession with penguins. When she's not at rehearsal or pondering life after graduation, Ashley likes to nap. A lot.
Ashley Birdsell has 4 post(s) on Love Twenty